The Buddha’s Light Young Adult Scholarship is established by the Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto to encourage outstanding academic achievement and dedication to the community by active members of the Buddha’s Light International Association Young Adult Division, or 6th Meadowvale Scout Group, or be an active volunteer of BLIA Toronto, or Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto. Each year up to ten (10) scholarships will be awarded according to the following four categories: culture, education, charity and religious practice. A scholarship amount of $1000 will be awarded to selected students.
- be an active member of the Buddha’s Light International Association Young Adult Division (BLIA-YAD) or 6th Meadowvale Scout Group, or an active volunteer of BLIA Toronto or Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto for at least one year.
- be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a college or university in Ontario.
- be enrolled in a program which is relevant to one of the FOUR OBJECTIVES of Fo Guang Shan Temple: Culture, Education, Charity and Religious Practice.
- obtain an academic cumulative average of 75 or above (or GPA 3.3 or above, or B+ average or above)
The completed application should include:
- A fully completed Buddha’s Light Young Adult Scholarship application form.
- Two recent photos of size 1.5” (w) x 2” (h)
- A copy of recently issued transcripts from the applicant’s current highest institution.
- A personal statement (1500-2000 words) with specific references to the following:
i. Academic experiences and planning.
ii. Reasons for selecting your program of study and your goal(s).
iii. Experiences of participating in BLIA-YAD, 6th Meadowvale Scout Group, BLIA Toronto, or Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto activities or other community organization.
iv. Future personal goal(s).
v. Describe how your studies can relate to the FOUR OBJECTIVES. The subject of study can be beyond the scope of FOUR OBJECTIVES
- Reference letters: Applicants must provide references from two individuals:
i. A high school teacher or college/university professor.
ii. A current BLIA-YAD executive member or member of the community, or Advising Venerable.
Applicant assessment forms are available for the referees. The referee must mail the original signed confidential assessment form directly to the Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto prior to the submission deadline.
- All documents received must be in letter size (8.5” x 11”) format.
Deadline for Submission
Deadline for submission of application forms: December 10, 2021.
Late submission or incomplete applications will not be considered. Facsimile of the application will not be accepted.
The application and all supporting documentation will be reviewed by the Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto. Selected candidates will be notified of the date and time for an interview. Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto will notify the approved scholarship recipients by December 21, 2021. Scholarships will be presented on January 9, 2022, at the Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto. Recipients not being able to attend the Scholarship Awarding Ceremony will be considered as forfeiting the scholarship.
Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto reserves all rights to make changes to the rules and regulations governing this Scholarship program.
The application and all supporting documents (except for the two reference letters) should be sent in one package to the attention of:
Buddha’s Light Young Adult Scholarship
Fo Guang Shan Temple of Toronto
6525 Millcreek Drive,
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 7K6
For any inquiries:
Download the Buddha's Light Young Scholarship package here